A funding window has just opened where we can apply for funding for you to complete the Generic Adventure Site Guide (GASG) Skills Program completely free of charge. Funding is not guaranteed until approved by the funding agency, but we do our best to obtain it for you.
There are some conditions:
- You must already be working as a Guide, full or part time even if it is as a self employed person.
- You must have at least 21 days experience in the activity you offer as an Adventure Guide. You must already have some technical skills in at least one activity. (Climbing, paddling, Zip Lines, Bungee, MTB etc etc. Any Adventure Activities can apply)
- If the program is approved by the funding agency, you will:
- Attend up to 15 days face to face training at a venue and time agreed upon. This may be spread over 4-5 months.
- Attend 2-3 days of assessment at the end.
- Be required to gain at least 21 days real work experience as a Guide.
- Have a valid identity document of passport.
- Have a working email address you check regularly. (This is important)
- Be able to read and write English and use a computer for email purposes, and if you wish to complete some written tasks.
- Agree to complete the course which will be spread over 6 months. We discuss with you a schedule and agree on training times. Usually it involves an initial 5 days continuous training as a group and then further days training as agreed between us. Learners who drop out the course may have to repay any costs involved.
- Transport, meals etc are NOT supplied. Only the cost of Training and Assessment is covered. Also no stipends or payments will be paid to you. We do try to arrange the training in groups and a venue you can all reach easily.
We do not yet know when the actual course will start. Either in December of early 2016. It usually lasts 6 months in total. Most of the process will be in your normal workplace, but about 10 days will be at a central training venue near you.
We recently completed a similar project in Parys for the Vrederfort Dome Tour Guides Association training 30 Guides. Some details about this project are available from the following links:
We are also seeking busy Adventure Companies who are willing to act as employers for this project. It does not cost you anything and there are great Tax rebates available. Please Contact Us if you are interested, or you can fill in the application form.
Please note: that there is no reason an employer cannot make this application to CATHSSETA directly themselves. You are not bound to work through AQN, but having done this 5 times now, we are well aware of the pitfalls and hurdles that need to be overcome.
Guides Application Process
If you are interested in applying, please click the Application Form title below and the application will open.
Read it all through BEFORE starting to fill it in. You may need to go away and collect some of the information needed first. You must complete the application in one go as you cannot save drafts.